03 November 2009

Rumbledethumps



WHAT??!?!?! These are the things I don't understand but I think are amusing here in the UK:

  • Bubble & Squeak- basically a mix of leftovers from a Sunday roast, fried up and eaten with bacon. (Rumbledethumps is the same thing)

  • You cannot buy boots in Boots nor virgins in Virgin. You cannot buy threshers in Threshers and the Superdrug chain is a big disappointment.

  • Give way for Yield...

  • Wacky Backy= Marijuana

  • Instead of saying you're doing some work on the house, they'll say: "I'm doing a bit of DIY" which of course is an acronym for Do It Yourself

  • When thirsty, most won't seek a glass of water or juice, it's a cuppa (cup of tea)... even when it's boiling hot outside!!

  • When talking about yourself, you'd say "us"...as in, "Give us a bell"...which is another thing that simply means Give me a phone call.

  • Anytime they impersonate an American, it's either a southern American accent or it's extremely nasally.

  • I am held responsible for all the foolishness of my home country. Even if I don't advocate it, participate in it, or even knew about it. It's my fault. It helps them feel superior... doing my bit to improve the world.

  • Cockney rhyming slang: it's funny, complicated and so unnecessary . Why not just say the thing you mean, you save time. For instance economically speaking, saying "I'm going upstairs" is shorter and easier to understand than " I'm going up the apple and pears". Or "I got a new phone" than " I got a new dog and bone". Or "Don't tell lies" than "Don't tell Porkies" (Porky Pie, Pork Pie, Rhymes with Lie, so shorten it to Porkies)... there is an awful lot of thought behind these things but so annoyingly complicated.

  • Unkonwn abbreviations :PTO, FAO, DIY, BOGOF (all of these I've since figured out, after much consideration; Please Turn Over, For the Attention Of, Do It Yourself, Buy One Get One Free-which is funny cuz the accronym sounds like something they'd tell a person to do... Bog-Off!)

  • Made Redundant...it sounds like it's something out of the company's control, that your job suddenly became duplicate to someone else's... but in reality it's a lay off. You were made "Laid Off". Whatever!

  • No one seems to know about the Rabbit Pregnancy Test!!!


No comments: